Main Article Content
On Friday, 11 November 2022, there was damage to the radio link equipment in the HF and MSSR radio transmitter communication systems due to a lightning strike operating at the Makassar Air Traffic Service Center (MATSC) office. This lightning strike is a phenomenon that poses a threat to the operation of flight navigation services carried out by the MATSC branch of Perum LPPNPI. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the external lightning protection system that has been installed and also to determine the effectiveness of the conventional lightning protection system on the antenna tower next to the MATSC radio PAI building. This study uses quantitative research methods. Retrieval of data using the method of observation and measurement. The calculation results found that the PAI Building was included in category IV, meaning that the lightning strike hazard level is 80%. While the antenna tower has a protection level category III, which means it has a danger level of 90%. However, from the observations, only the tower antenna is provided with a conventional type of lightning rod, while the PAI Building does not have a lightning rod system. The calculation results show that the existing conventional lightning rod protection angle is around 35o with a protection radius of 16.58 m. So that with this radius, the PAI building does not fully get protection from the dangers of lightning strikes.
Keywords: Lightning Protection System, Antenna Tower, PAI MATSC Building
- Negara, I. M. Y., Ksatria, A. B., Fahmi, D., Asfani, D. A., Hernanda, I. G. N. S., & Pratama, R. B. (2021). Investigation and improvement of standard external lightning protection system: Industrial case study. Energies, 14(14). https://doi.org/10.3390/en14144118
- Soepangkat. (1994). Pengantar Meteorologi.
- Supartono, E., & Haryono, T. (2015). APPLICATION OF CONE PROTECTION AND ROLLING SPHERE METHODS IN EXTERNAL LIGHTNING PROTECTION ANALYSIS ON 214 RADAR TOWER. In International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology (Vol. 8).
- Syakur, A. (2006). SISTEM PROTEKSI PENANGKAL PETIR PADA GEDUNG WIDYA PURAYA Determination of Tracking Index View project. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279670912
- T. Gunawan. (2014). Analisis Tingkat Kerawanan Bahaya Sambaran Petir Dengan Metode Simple Additive Weighting di Provinsi Bali. Balai Besar Meteorologi Klimatologi dan Geofisika Wilayah III Denpasar.
- Ugahari, Y. (n.d.). ANALISIS PROTEKSI SAMBARAN PETIR EKSTERNAL MENGGUNAKAN METODE COLLECTION VOLUME STUDI KASUS GEDUNG FAKULTAS TEKNIK UNIVERSITAS INDONESIA.
- Yuniarti, N. (2017). EVALUASI SISTEM PENANGKAL PETIR EKSTERNAL DI GEDUNG REKTORAT UNIVERSITAS NEGERI YOGYAKARTA. Jurnal Edukasi Elektro, 1(2). http://journal.uny.ac.id/index.php/jee/